Arabic The Formation of Words تَكَوُّن الْكَلِمَاتِ
The Formation of Words (تَكَوُّن الْكَلِمَاتِ)
|مِنَ الْحُرُوْفِ الْهِجَائِيَّةِ تَتَرَكَّبُ الْكَلِمَاتُ From the Letters of the (Arabic) Alphabet words are constructed.|
Each one of us knows the Letters of the (Arabic) Alphabet, the first of which is the الأَلِف and the last of which is the الْيَاء .
From these letters are formed: all the words that we utter in our conversations and use in our dialogues, like:
The الْكَلِمَة (word) can consist of:
- one letter, like the الْبَاء (in, with) in ﴿بِسْمِ اللهِ﴾ (In the Name of Allah), and the الْهَمْزَة (question article) in ﴿أَلَمْ نَشْرَحْ لَكَ﴾ [Have we not open for you (your bosom)],
- two letters, like: “مِنْ” (from, of), “فِيْ” (in, at),
- three letters, like: “عِنَب” (grapes), “شَجَر” (trees),
- four letters, like: “جَدْوَل” (brook), جَعْفَر (rivulet, Ja’far),
- five letters, like: “سَفَرْجَل” (quince),
- six letters, like: “زَعْفَرَان” (saffron), or
- seven letters, like: “اسْتِفْهَام” (questioning)
Furthermore, the الْكَلِمَة does not exceed this number (i.e. it cannot be made up of more than seven letters).